Residence Regulations

Bernhard Frank Lange, Campus Design, KutscherhausNeuwerk 7a, 1. OG
T +49 (0) 345 7751 555,

For applicants from outside the European Union it might be necessary to apply for a visa. Please, inquire at the German diplomatic mission (embassy or consulate) in your country before entering Germany about the latest regulations. In general there are three types of visa of interest for you:

Applicant Visa (Bewerbervisum)

This allows students to enter Germany and to take the necessary tests (artistic aptitude test, language test). Should they successfully pass these tests, it might in some cases even be possible to change this applicant visa into a student visa (Aufenthaltsbewilligung zu Studienzwecken) in Germany directly. After we have received your registration for the artistic aptitude test along with the required enclosures, we will issue a confirmation letter for you to be submitted at the German diplomatic mission.

Student Visa (Aufenthaltsbewilligung zu Studienzwecken)

In order to study in Germany international students need a residence permit. This residence permit must be obtained in form of a visa (Aufenthaltsbewilligung zu Studienzwecken ) from the German diplomatic mission ( embassy or consulate ) in the home country before entering Germany to pursue your studies. To issue a visa the diplomatic mission will require among other things proof of successfull application / admission as well as proof of financial means to cover living expenses in Germany.

Tourist Visa

Although it might be possible to enter Germany with a tourist visa and take the necessary entrance tests, you will have to return to your home country immediately thereafter. For those who come in the fall to register as students and take up their studies, it is mandatory that they have a valid student visa. We strictly warn students against entering Germany on a tourist visa. We will not be able to register applicants who do not possess the required student visa. It will not be possible to transform a tourist visa into a student visa while in Germany!

Contact us

Bernhard Frank Lange
International Office
Campus Design, Kutscherhaus
Neuwerk 7a, 1. OG
T +49 (0) 345 7751 555


Neuwerk 7
06108 Halle (Saale)

Phone: +49 (0) 345 7751 555
Fax: +49 (0) 345 7751 517
Email: international(at)  burg-halle.  de

Office Hours

Tuesday and Wednesday 10 am–12 am
Thursday 2–4 pm and on appointment