You can find all the information you need in the following two PDF-files:
Application is possible once a year for the following winter semester.
You can apply for the winter semester 2023/24 in the period from 01 December 2022 to the beginning of March 2023.
- 01 December 2022 to the beginning of March 2023: Online registration via our applicant portal
- March 2023: digital submission of your application documents and portfolio on our upload portal
In order to determine the artistic and creative aptitude in the Bachelor's, “Diplom” and State examination degree programmes, applicants must prove their capabilities for the chosen degree programme in the entrance examination.
The entrance examination includes the following parts (see also entrance examination regulations):
- Portfolio review
- Creative/drawing/imaging skills tests/assessments
- Examinations of study-related skills
Examinations of study-related skills
In general, there are no specific guidelines on format, content or techniques that you would have to take into account in the approx. 20 works of your choice.
Themes and techniques that preoccupy you should be the subject of the portfolio. These can be nature studies, sketchbooks, photographs, spatial studies, free works and studies. The assembled sheets should express your interest, enthusiasm and eye for the creative realisation of your ideas and observations. Also, their engagement with topics of the respective field of study need not, but can be made visible.
You can find answers and assistance for the digital submission of the portfolio in our FAQ for applicants.
Below we have put together a few videos with tips and information for you on applying to Burg Giebichenstein University of Art and Design.
Anyone preparing their own portfolio for an application encounters many questions. That's why students at Burg Giebichenstein Kunsthochschule Halle got together to discuss what makes a good portfolio.
Students provide information on the procedure of the entrance examination in the Art Faculty and talk about their personal impressions.
For the Master's programme, an online application is possible at two different times:
- Applications for the following winter semester are possible for all Master's programmes from 1 April to 15 May (4 p.m.) each year. BURG graduates can also apply by 15 November for the following summer semester.
- From 01 October to 15 November, applications for the following summer semester are only possible for the study programme Multimediamedia Design.
To apply, please use our online application form. You can then upload the following required documents to a portal provided, no documents need to be sent by post this year!
- Fully completed application form; This includes the so-called "Burg Bogen" and the "Studienbegründung" (motivation for desired study course). Both files are available for download as PDF forms at the end of the online application. In the "explanation of intended study programme" you describe your motivation, your focus of expectations and the desired focus of study within the intended Master's programme.
- Curriculum vitae
- Proof of a university degree in accordance with §27 Para. 8 HSG LSA or corresponding proof of achievement (Transcript of Records)
- Portfolio (one PDF-file, max. 200 MB)
- Eventual publications
- Proof of sufficient knowledge of German
Note for international applicants
For a Master's application you do not need a Preliminary Verification Document (VPD) from uni-assist! You can apply directly via the portal mentioned above.
After receipt and review of all application documents, the portfolios and the application related to the study programme with stated motivation will be evaluated. Applicants who have achieved the required score will be invited to an admission interview. We will announce the form in which this will take place (digital or on-site) on time.
We wish all applicants good luck!
Registration and application for the entrance examination for Master programs in summer semester 2024
Ocotber 1st 2023 until 15th November 2023
Online application for all master programs for internal students (external students can only apply for Multimedia Design M.A. , Interior Architecture M.A. and Furniture and Interior Design M.A.) The applicant portal will be activated at the beginning of October.
Registration and application for the entrance examination for Master programs in winter semester 2024/25
April to May 2024
Online registration for all master programs for internal applicants. External applicants can apply for most master programs, except Interior Architecture M.A. and Furniture and Interior Design M.A. (only for summer semester)
The applicant portal will be activated in April 2024.
Registration and application for the entrance examination for Bachelor, Diploma, Stste examination in winter semester 2024/25
December 2023 to March 2024
Online registration for the entrance examination Bachelor, Diplom, Staatsexamen
The applicant portal will be activated on December 1st, 2023.
15th until 17th October 2023 (Registration)
Buddy Day (register here)
Studieninformationszentrum, Neuwerk 7, 06108 Halle (Saale)
Telefon: +49 (0)345 7751-532, E-Mail: studinfo(at)burg-halle.de