The StreamLab is a studio for the conception and implementation of digital-hybrid teaching & learning scenarios and forms a central pillar for the casual integration of digital mediation and communication strategies in higher education teaching. Under expert supervision, modern audiovisual formats for teaching and learning in online and offline formats can be developed and practically tested.
The technical equipment enables a smooth transition between the digital support of face-to-face events, the implementation of digital-hybrid real-time productions (e.g. livestreams, video conferences, etc.) and the professional production of audiovisual mediation formats for the time-delayed presentation, archiving and documentation of project results.
The StreamLab team teaches basic skills for using the technology in workshops, and supports and accompanies the conception, development and technical implementation of individual scenarios.
StreamLab at the Media Centre
After individual consultation and an introduction, the use of the premises and the loan of technology to support audiovisual productions or streaming formats is possible.
Equipment usable at the StreamLab (selection)
- Editing computer (Windows 10 Pro, 64bit, 32GB RAM (with NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, 6GB GDDR6)
- Six-channel audio mixer (with integrated 2in/2out audio interface)
- various microphones for post dubbing
- professional studio speakers (Swissonic ASM7)
- Davinci Resolve Studio with Blackmagic Speed Editor, Premiere Pro, etc.
- Cove (270cm wide) with various video backgrounds + green screen.
- 2x LED continuous lights (60W, 5500k) on tripod
Technology available for rent at the StreamLab (selection):
- 4x streaming laptop with OBS-Studio software
- 3x HDMI INPUT adapter (HDMI input to USB C)
- 4x Video camcorder 4K (Sony FDR AX53) incl. HDMI cable, power supply, 32GB SD card, bag)
- 4x Sennheisser MKE 600 directional microphones with hot shoe adapter
- 4x microphone set Rode Wireless GO II Set (per set: 2 microphones + 1 receiver incl. cable)
- 1x Blackmagic Pocket Camera 6K Pro (compatible with Canon DSLR lenses)
- 1x Lens: Sigma 18-35mm
- 1x Lens: Sigma 50-100mm
- 1x video tripod (Manfrotto MVT502AM)
- 3x ball head tripod (Manfrotto Element MII)
- 1x ATEM Mini HDMI switcher
- 1x Blackmagic Speed Editor
- 3x StreamDeck (5x3 buttons)
- 1x StremDeck XL (8x4 buttons)
- 1x GoPro HERO10 Black incl. accessories
- 3x DJI RS/RSC 2 RavenEye wireless image transmission system
- 1x Gimbal for camera stabilisation (DJI RS2 Pro Combo)
- 1x Edelkrone camera slider (1m)
In addition, various adapters, cables, HDMI splitters/switches/cables, a small SmallRig setup for shoulder camera and SSD hard drives (1TB) are available.
Please contact the StreamLab team directly if you have any questions about using or borrowing the equipment: streamlab(at)burg-halle.de
The most important components for simple livestream scenariosLivestream scenarios or the recording of lectures are included in a streaming case that can be borrowed:
- 1x streaming laptop with OBS-Studio software, charging cable, laptop bag, network cable (10m).
- 1x 4K video camcorder (Sony FDR AX53) incl. HDMI cable, power supply, 32GB SD card, bag)
- 1x HDMI INPUT (Sandberg HDMI Capture Link to USB)
- 1x HDMI cable 3m + HDMI repeater
- 1x tripod with three-way panhead
- 1x Microphone set Rode Wireless GO II Set (per set: 2 microphones + 1 receiver incl. cable)
- 1x Elgato Stream Deck MK2 (3x5)
- Overview and instructions Streaming case.
Tutorial for the streaming-case.
The StreamLab Mobile Studio is a portable, fully configured and easy-to-use streaming and recording studio for the mobile live streaming of lectures and events on any internet platform. After a short introduction, professional live streams with several camera perspectives or HDMI sources, picture-in-picture insertions, logo overlays or green screen productions can be realised. A pre-configured user interface (StreamDeck) summarises complex operating procedures in a simple press of a key, making it easy to use.
Data StreamLab Mobile Studio:
- ATEM Mini Pro HDMI video switcher for combining four HDMI input sources (e.g. presentation laptops, cameras, etc.) and connection option for microphones (e.g. Rode Wireless GO) or other audio sources.
- Resolution: Full-HD 1920x1080 (50p)
- 4x HDMI A/V INPUT (pre-configured for 3x camera + 1x laptop picture-in-picture)
- 1x HDMI A/V OUTPUT (switchable: preview or stream)
- 1x USB-C connector (for output of live stream as UVC compatible webcam OR for direct recording on SSD hard disk)
- 2x Stereo Audio INPUT (3.5mm mini jack)
- 1x network socket (for direct streaming via LAN cable to the Internet)
- Preview monitor with headphone output (3.5mm mini jack)
Hybrid event rooms
The university provides rooms for digital-hybrid events (e.g. room 103/104 in the Villa Neuwerk or the lecture hall in the Goldbau). These can be used by prior arrangement. The infrastructure available there can be supplemented with the mobile equipment of the StreamLab.
Streaming platform of the Burg
Livestreams via the official Vimeo account of the BURG are possible after prior agreement with the StreamLab and the Press and Public Relations Department. If necessary, access to the stream can be restricted (e.g. by password protection or private link).
Video conferencing in table format
Several video conferencing systems (Meeting Owl 3), as well as conference microphones (Beyerdynamic Space) are available for loan to support smaller hybrid online meetings (e.g. video conferencing in conference table format with +/- 6 people participating on site). Tutorials are available for use.
Kristian Gohlke: gohlke(at)burg-halle.de
Franziska Eichhorn: eichhorn(at)burg-halle.de
Head of Project
Studium Digitale – A program powered by the project „Hochschullehre durch Digitalisierung stärken“ funded by Stiftung Innovation in der Hochschullehre.
06108 Halle (Saale)