Visa Formalities for studies in Germany
German embassies and consular representations will provide information on current entry and residence requirements for Germany.
Applicants for university studies from the following countries do not require a visa to enter Germany:
- European Union, EEA states: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland
- Andorra, Australia, Brazil, Canada, El Salvador, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, South Korea, USA
Applicants from all other countries need a visa for studies in Germany. A tourist visa does not entitle the holder to register as a student. Information on current entry regulations and the application forms are available from the Federal Foreign Ofﬁce.
The student visa is only valid for a maximum of 3 months. On arrival in Germany, students must apply for a study residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) from the Foreign Registration Authority (Ausländerbehörde).
- Fully completed and signed application form
- Two current passport photographs (frontal view)
- Certiﬁcate of registration with the city of Halle (see Registration at the registration ofﬁce)
- Proof of the purpose (e.g. letter of acceptance from the university, certiﬁcate of enrolment)
- Proof of adequate health insurance Proof of sufﬁcient ﬁnancial resources (670 € per month: account statements/ proof of grant/ declaration of ﬁnancial support by parents/ blocked bank account)
- Proof of sufﬁcient housing (rental contract or subrental contract)
- Valid passport
Costs: for up to 1 year 100€ for more than 1 year 110€
Ausländerbehörde/Team Einreise und Aufenthalt
Am Stadion 5
06122 Halle (Saale)
Tue 8am – 6pm
Thu 8am – 3.30pm
Fri 8am – 12noon
Tel. +49 (0) 345 221 5305
Fax. +49 (0) 345 221 5312
Registration at the registration ofﬁce
Since Germany has compulsory registration by law, every student (regardless of citizenship) has to register at the Einwohnermeldeamt (Civil Service Center/ Population Administration).
- Valid passport or ID (copy)
- Rental contract
- Application form for registration (only in German)
- (Matriculation document)
Bürgerservicestelle/ Fachbereich Einwohnerwesen
06122 Halle (Saale)
Mon 8am – 4pm
Tue/Thu 8am – 7pm
Wed 8am – 12noon
Fri 9am – 3pm
Sat 9am – 12noon
Tel. +49 (0) 345 221 4602
Fax. +49 (0) 345 221 4617
Studienberatung / Student Advisory Service:
Aufgrund der Pandemie:
Eine vorherige Anmeldung ist erforderlich.
It is mandatory to make an appointment previously.