Please take care of all necessary formalities before coming to Germany (visa, health insurance etc.), you may find an overview of necessary steps here.
Visa Formalities for studies in Germany
German embassies and consular representations will provide information on current entry and residence requirements for Germany.
Applicants for university studies from the following countries do not require a visa to enter Germany:
- European Union, EEA states: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland
- Andorra, Australia, Brazil, Canada, El Salvador, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, South Korea, USA
Applicants from all other countries need a study visa for Germany prior to arrival. A tourist visa does not entitle the holder to register as a student. Information on current entry regulations and the application forms are available from the Federal Foreign Ofﬁce. The first step is applying for a study visa in your country. Please mind the information of the German Embassy to your country and the following link: Visa-Navigator (diplo.de). The second step, after arrival, is the application for a residence permit.
Blocked account: for the study visa you will have to prove sufficient financial funds for living in Germany during the period of the visa. Please mind the follwoing advice: Opening a blocked bank account (Sperrkonto) for students - Federal Foreign Office (auswaertiges-amt.de). Please do not open an blocked account with the provider BAM! since problems have been reported. Should you have used that provider, please mind the follwoing guidance.
The student visa is only valid for a maximum of 3 months. On arrival in Germany, students must apply for a study residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) from the Foreign Registration Authority (Ausländerbehörde).
- Fully completed and signed application form
- Two current passport photographs (frontal view)
- Certiﬁcate of registration with the city of Halle (see Registration at the registration ofﬁce)
- Proof of the purpose (e.g. letter of acceptance from the university, certiﬁcate of enrolment)
- Proof of adequate health insurance
- Proof of sufﬁcient ﬁnancial resources: Blocked account. From 1 January 2021, the presumed annual requirement that must be paid into the blocked account when applying for a visa amounts to 10,332 euros. The account may only permit the withdrawal of a certain amount per month (for students currently 861 euros).
- Proof of sufﬁcient housing (rental contract or subrental contract)
- Valid passport
Costs: for up to 1 year 100€ for more than 1 year 110€
For currently information: www.halle.de/de/Verwaltung/Online-Angebote/Dienstleistungen/
Ausländerbehörde/Team Einreise und Aufenthalt
Am Stadion 5
06122 Halle (Saale)
Tue 8am – 6pm
Thu 8am – 3.30pm
Fri 8am – 12noon
Tel. +49 (0) 345 221 5305
Fax. +49 (0) 345 221 5312
Registration at the registration ofﬁce
Since Germany has compulsory registration by law, every student (regardless of citizenship) has to register at the Einwohnermeldeamt (Civil Service Center/ Population Administration).
- Valid passport or ID (copy)
- Rental contract
- Application form for registration (only in German)
- (Matriculation document)
Bürgerservicestelle/ Fachbereich Einwohnerwesen
06122 Halle (Saale)
Mon 8am – 4pm
Tue/Thu 8am – 7pm
Wed 8am – 12noon
Fri 9am – 3pm
Sat 9am – 12noon
Tel. +49 (0) 345 221 4602
Fax. +49 (0) 345 221 4617