This year we're challenging you to design your version of the 20th Anniversary Levi's® Engineered Jeans. Will you take design elements from the original or reimagine them for the 21st Century in a new way, with a fresh take on the philosophy of comfort and freedom to move? What new technologies can you find that deliver comfort, performance and sustainability?
Why: Define your philosophy around the new LEJ. What's its purpose? Why is it special? Write your manifesto.
Customer: Who are you speaking to? What do they pay attention to? What are their values and desires?
Trends - Show how trends relate to this collection. This can be macro trends, like comfort or fashion/street trends.
Innovation - New technology, fabrics, new ways to market the product.
Products: Design a capsule collection of 4-8 outfits, female, male or gender neutral.
Tutors - download the A4 Levi’s x Arts Thread Design Competition 2018 poster to Print off for the school noticeboard!
A paid 10 week Design internship at Levi’s San Francisco Headquarters in summer 2018. As part of the internship you’ll get work with the best denim experts on the planet, and visit the legendary Levi’s Archive and the Eureka Innovation Lab.
Who can enter?
- Location: International - from any country.*
- Experience/Age: Open to anyone over 18 who is...
- enrolled in a Fashion Design program with an accredited college/university.
- graduating between September 2018 – June 2019.
Exempt for anyone enrolled in higher education in September 2018 (i.e you will return to school in September/October 2018 to continue your program) or for anyone who graduates in 2017 and has enrolled onto an MA to start fall 2018.
How to enter
Already got an ARTS THREAD portfolio?
To enter, simply log into your account, upload your design as a new project, return to this page and select your project into the Competition box above.
New to ARTS THREAD?
To enter, register to create an ARTS THREAD account and go to your email and click on the activation link sent to your email Inbox. Then log into your account, upload your project, then return to this page and select your project into the Competition box above.
- Complete our online Levi’s x Arts Thread Design Competition 2018 Entry Form
- Please ensure you have read the Terms & Conditions for the Levi Strauss & Co. x Arts Thread Design Competition 2018
- Entry: Free
- Deadline: January 28 2018 MIDNIGHT EST
- Prize: A paid 10 week Design internship at Levi’s San Francisco Headquarters in summer 2018.
Entries Must Include:
- Trend Report: Trend really is about understanding human nature - the changes in our values and expectations. We'd like you to join the dots between macro trends, social values, catwalk and street style. Use the trends to show why you designed your project.
- The Tribe: Who is your superfan? What do they like? What and who are their influences?
- Brand Identity: Being a designer isn't just about designing a particular object, pair of jeans, jacket etc - but to design a brand's identity. Every strong brand has a strong identity that you can remember and that embodies the brand's character. This is a vital skill.
- Design drawings: 4 - 8 outfits. Any gender or genderless. We'll leave that up to you.
*Your submission images (boards) must be in JPEG format with maximum size of 5MB per image.
** Please title each image file 2018 Levi’s Design Competition_NAME
We’ll be judging your entry using the following criteria:
- Style – aesthetics
- Creativity and Innovation