1. Application for Exchange
Application Documents for Erasmus and Freemover Incomings
In order to apply to an Erasmus exchange or as an exchange student, please ﬁll out our Application Form for exchange students.
Please send all application documents only via email and in PDF- format to international(at)burg-halle.de (Portfolios via WeTransfer or similar if the file is too large for an email). Please do not send applications via post office.
Necessary documents in German or English (to add)
- 1. Application form for exchange students
- 2. Curriculum Vitae
- 3. Letter of Motivation
- 4. Transcript of your current studies
- 5. Portfolio*
- 6. Copy of ID card
- 7. Digital Photo of yourself (Portrait for ID)
* Advice for applicants for interior architecture: A 4 format; should contain at least 25 pages of own works, max. size 20 MB.
* Interior Architecture – particularities: Earliest possible semester for applying is 4th. Only applications from ‘Interior Design’, ‘Interior Architecture’ or similar can be considered.
* Advice for applicants for design studies: please send a portfolio if you have one, depending on your background. Otherwise, we will require a writing sample. You may send us (preferably) your bachelor thesis or papers, articles etc. composed by you. By all means, please provide a precise and detailed motivation letter.
Please note: There is no need to send any Learning Agreements to the International Ofﬁce in order to apply. If you do, however, have to hand in a Learning Agreement for your home university prior to your arrival in Halle, we recommend that you contact your academic coordinator / academic tutor in Halle, since all details concerning study plans cannot be addressed by the International Ofﬁce.
After contacting your academic coordinator please use the following study course plans to complete your Learning Agreement.
For further information about the content of the courses please refer to the course catalogue on the right side.
- Winter term (October – February): from 1st April until 15th April
- Summer term (April – July): from 1st October until 15th October
- Winter term (October – February): from 16th April until 1st May
- Summer term (April – July): from 16th October until 1st November
Please send the application by email to: international(at)burg-halle.de
We cannot guarantee it, but we make an effort to communicate the outcome of your application within 3 weeks after the application deadline. Due to internal schedules, feedback for applications in Interior Architecture and Communication Design can only be given at the end of July (winter term) or January (summer term).
For an exchange, there are either German or English skills required (level B2). If you have a good command of English language, no German skills will be required. Exception: for an exchange in our MA Design Studies programme a good command of German language is mandatory.
The selection is done by the professor(s) of the corresponding course. Prerequisite is a complete application containing all requested documents. The selection is based on the artistic aptitude for the course as derived from your portfolio and transcript of studies. Furthermore, your motivation is very important and pertinent language skills (English and / or German).
2. Important advice for accepted exchange students
Please check the following link: https://www.burg-halle.de/hochschule/studium/semestertermine/wintersemester-202324/
For incoming exchange students, international introduction day (mandatory) will take place some day before the regular introduction week (end of Sepetmber for winter term / end of March for summer term). We will communicate the exact semester date once you are accepted.
We would like to punctuate the fact that the teaching language in all courses here at BURG is German. We do not offer regular courses taught in English at present time.
If your application is accepted and you arrive without any German skills, please be aware that the extent to which you can be mentored in English highly depends on the teachers and professors you will be working with and that we cannot guarantee one-on-one translations for you. We do offer a buddy program which teams you up with a fellow German student in the first weeks of your stay but this does not replace any language skills. Without German, you are always able to participate in practical courses and do your projects. Presentations of your projects in English are possible. However, access to theoretical courses might be limited.
Online Learning Agreement (only applicable for Erasmus students)
Please consult the International Office of your home university how to log on to the OLA. Before your exchange, we will create a preliminary version with "dummys" for your courses here since the precise names of your semester project might not be clear yet. Please read the following guidance on how to fill out the document: After acceptance: advice on Online Learning Agreement (OLA). Afer starting your semester at BURG you might change the courses in your OLA of course.
Please be advised that our university applies the standard German grading system. For more information on our grading system, the statistical distribution of our grades and the conversion of our local grades according to the European Credit Transfer System, please consult the following document.
You may consult the Egracons country report for an outline of the German grading system (page 21). You may use the table on page 15-16 in the guide from the University of Heidelberg which provides another possibility to convert your grades.
We are also part of Egracons. If your home university is a member of Egracons your International Office may convert grades you received from us to your local grades.
Please discuss with your home university which conversion they prefer to use.
You may find some guidance on the use of the app here.
For further information, please consult our strategy for the inclusion of Erasmus students, available in English and German. Some general information on our institution are also available on https://inclusivemobility.eu/.
If you intend to be committed to social voluntary work there are different options both on campus and in the city of Halle. Please check out the following overview which does present some examples: civic engagement.
We encourage you coming to Halle using green means of transport, such as train. Please mind the advice given in our exchange guide ("Green BURG"). You may also find useful guidance in the following brochure and handbook. The platform Green Erasmus might also give you some guidance on realizing a more sustainable exchange.
Please check out our exchange guide which you may find in the download section on the right side. You may find some tipps about Halle or our university on the plattform „Compass“ in case previous exchange students indicated them: https://compass-youthmobility.eu/
Krieg in der Ukraine / Війна в Україні / War in Ukraine:
Hinweise für ukrainische Staatsangehörige / Запитання та відповіді щодо в’їзду з України й перебування в Німеччині:
- Wer aus der Ukraine flüchten muss, hat viele Fragen und braucht Unterstützung. Hier finden ukrainische Staatsangehörige und auch Drittstaatsangehörige, die aus der Ukraine geflüchtet sind, aktuelle Antworten – die fortlaufend aktualisiert werden.
- Біженці з України мають багато запитань і потребують підтримки. Тут громадяни України, а також громадяни третіх країн, які прибули з України, знайдуть відповіді на актуальні запитання. Інформація постійно оновлюються.
- Hier finden Sie weitere Informationen unserer Hochschule zum Thema. Тут ви знайдете додаткову інформацію від нашого університету на цю тему.
Bernhard Frank Lange
Campus Design, Kutscherhaus
Neuwerk 7, First Floor
T +49 (0) 345 7751 555
Please make an appointment previously.