Visa and registration formalities for studies in Germany

German embassies and consular representations will provide information on current entry and residence requirements for Germany.

Applicants for university studies from the following countries do not require a visa to enter Germany (however, a student visa will be mandatory for staying more than 90 days):

Applicants from all other countries need a visa for studies in Germany. A tourist visa does not entitle the holder to register as a student. Information on current entry regulations and the application forms are available from the Federal Foreign Office.

Please make sure that the German embassy or consular represation in your home country provides you with a student visa for the entire duration of your exchange to avoid any complications and laboured paperwork during your stay. In case the German embassy in your home country gives you an entry visa and not a student visa for the entire duration of your exchange in Germany, it is necessary for you to apply for the temporary residence permit. To apply you need an appointment at the Foreign Registration Authority (Ausländerbehörde) which you can schedule by e-mail auslaenderbehoerde(at) They will provide you with the information about the documents you have to submit for the application.