Health Insurance

All students are required to have health insurance. When you enroll at our University, you must thus provide evidence that you have coverage in Germany.

Statutory insurance policies from EU member countries and from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, and Macedonia are also valid in Germany. All you need to do is apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) at your home insurance companie. You must present the EHIC when you enroll.

Citizens from the following contracting countries please contact the following national companies in order to get a valid health insurance card. You must present this card when you enroll. Then, just take this card to a statutory health insurance company upon arrival in Halle and request a certificate of exemption from the health insurance requirement. Our university is cooperating with the Techniker Krankenkasse and can advice you. (Please ask before travelling which costs will be covered by your agency. Foreign insurance companies do not always pay for all the costs of medical treatment in Germany. In such cases, you will be obliged to pay for additional expenses yourself.)

Countries                 Code of the Card      Information at

  • Bosnia-Herzegovina     BH6      
  • Macedonia                     D/RM111
  • Montenegro                   DE/MNE111
  • Serbia                             DE 111 SRB
  • Turkey                            A/T11     
  • Tunisia                          A/TN11  

Students from all other countries must sign up for health coverage in Germany with either a state or private health insurance provider. Our University is cooperating with the Techniker Krankenkasse and we can advice you. The current premiums are 77,01 €/month or for persons aged 23 or more 78,50 €/month.


Student halls of residence or dormitories are run by the Studentenwerk Halle (student welfare organization). Rent for a single room is between 120 and 200 €. Since there are a limited number of spaces available, it is recommended that you send your application in early. Please use the application form online.

If it is not possible to find a student apartment, or you wish to find housing on your own, you can apply for the very popular shared accommodation in apartments (Wohngemeinschaften/WGs) where everyone has a room of his or her own. The best place to find available places for rent is on the bulletin boards (Schwarzes Brett), found in the entrances of many university buildings and cafeterias. You can check also the following web sites:

WG gesucht
Studenten-WG Halle

You can also rent privately a flat. It is strongly advisable to conclude a written tenancy agreement (Mietvertrag). The vast majority of adverts are genuine, but please be aware of scams and avoid transferring money in advance. The rent deposit must not exceed three times the monthly rent. You can check the following websites:

If the search for accommodation was not successful before arrival, staying in a backpackers’
hostel for a few days at a reasonable price is recommended. You can use the following links.

Youth Hostel Halle
Hostel No 5