Visa Formalities for studies in Germany

German embassies and consular representations will provide information on current entry and residence requirements for Germany.

Applicants for university studies from the following countries do not require a visa to enter Germany:

  • European Union, EEA states: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland
  • Andorra, Australia, Brazil, Canada, El Salvador, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, South Korea, USA

Applicants from all other countries need a visa for studies in Germany. A tourist visa does not entitle the holder to register as a student. Information on current entry regulations and the application forms are available from the Federal Foreign Office.

Residence permit

The student visa is only valid for a maximum of 3 months. On arrival in Germany, students must apply for a study residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) from the Foreign Registration Authority (Ausländerbehörde).

Necessary Documents:

  • Fully completed and signed application form
  • Two current passport photographs (frontal view)
  • Certificate of registration with the city of Halle (see Registration at the registration office)
  • Proof of the purpose (e.g. letter of acceptance from the university, certificate of enrolment)
  • Proof of adequate health insurance Proof of sufficient financial resources (670 € per month: account statements/ proof of grant/ declaration of financial support by parents/ blocked bank account)
  • Proof of sufficient housing (rental contract or subrental contract)
  • Valid passport

Costs: for up to 1 year 100€ for more than 1 year 110€

Ausländerbehörde/Team Einreise und Aufenthalt, Am Stadion 5, 06122 Halle (Saale) 

Tue 8am – 6pm
Thu 8am – 3.30pm
Fri   8am – 12noon 

Tel.  +49 (0) 345 221 5305
Fax. +49 (0) 345 221 5312   

Registration at the registration office

Since Germany has compulsory registration by law, every student (regardless of citizenship) has to register at the Einwohnermeldeamt  (Civil Service Center/ Population Administration).

Necessary Documents:

  • Valid passport or ID (copy)
  • Rental contract
  • Application form for registration (only in German)
  • (Matriculation document)  

Bürgerservicestelle/ Fachbereich Einwohnerwesen, Ratshof, Marktplatz 1, 06122 Halle (Saale)

Mon          8am – 4pm
Tue/Thu  8am – 7pm
Wed          8am – 12noon
Fri             9am – 3pm
Sat            9am – 12noon

Tel.  +49 (0) 345 221 4602  
Fax. +49 (0) 345 221 4617